Sunday, March 15, 2009

Fulfilling a promise

I promised myself that I would get this blog going. And frankly, the motivation couldn't be better. Let me explain.

This past weekend, at brunch with acquaintances, conversation turned to ideas and thoughts around 'sovereignty' and its connection to the recent arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court for Sudanese President, Omar al-Bashir. After a meandering discussion that touched on everything from sovereignty as an imperial construct, to the hardship faced by Sudanese people as a result of the unilateral dismissal of development organizations from the country, I was asked the following question: What do you want to do with yourself?

"You mean, like when I grow up?"

"Yeah," was the response.

"Well, I would like to serve my country. I think public service is one the highest callings and I would like to be involved in the Canadian political scene."

"Why?" was the resounding question, after the snickers had died down. The problem is that, the one-word question was really short form for 'why would you bother? Canada's such an insignificant country.'

The snickering incensed me and it must have been obvious - really obvious - that I was upset. I made it clear that it wasn't because of the question surrounding my future ambitions. That has been known to change based on personal context and preference. I was upset because, I hate to see Canada continually get short shrift.

I got an email this morning, the most important part of which I have excerpted here:

[SNIP]
Hi Stephen,

It was great to talk to you yesterday. I wanted to say that I was only teasing about Canada - and while my question about your future is based on genuine interest in your capabilities and ambitions, I didn't in any way mean to make you feel uncomfortable.

[END SNIP]

Did she get the point?

This is not about me, not even a little bit. This is about respect for the country I call home.

Let me be clear - I do not support the current Government of Canada or its policies. I don't support the acrimonious, unsophisticated, black-and-white-you're-with-us-or-you're-not direction Canadian politics has taken over the last six or so years. I barely support the current party landscape in Canada. But I am unwavering in my belief that Canada was -- and could be again in the future -- a voice for moderation, balance and tolerance in what is an increasingly belligerent, violent and intolerant world. The future of our country and the view others have of Canada can only be shaped by the calibre of our representatives in parliament and the quality of policy advice and guidance that flows from there.

Frankly, there's lots of work to be done.

In that sense, the title of this blog post serves a dual purpose: I'm on the blogging scene, which is something I've been wanted to do for a while; and, I'm hoping to share with you, as suggested in the title and subtitle of this blog, some miscellaneous ramblings based on a unique and personal perspective from a Canadian inside the United Nations. The hope is to make some contribution towards getting Canada the respect it deserves once again.

8 comments:

Red Canuck said...

Let me be the first to comment, and to congratulate you on your new blog! I especially like the name of the blog. Another option would have been MoonOverCanada.blogspot.com; funny, though less nuanced.

I have to agree with everything you've said. As you know, I share your sentiments on this issue, and my convictions are only strengthened by the current ebb tide in the Canadian political scene. You may be aware that the Speaker recently admonished the House (and primarly the CPC) for misusing alloted speaking time to launch personal attacks on the leader of the opposition. This type of low level gutter politics is typical of our current government. I hope that your voice will join with others in resetting our national compass.

Canadiun said...

Thanks Red Canuck. We should take solace in the fact that, although there is tremendous work to be done, the goals are clear. In some ways, I'm playing catch-up - you've been on the scene a lot longer. Regardless, I look forward to banding together with you to "reboot" the system.

Red Canuck said...

As an aside, if you want to increase traffic to your blog, you should consider adding your url to Google and listing it on a Blog Aggregator (ie. Liblogs, Progressive Bloggers, LiberalsOnline to name a few). If you need help with the latter, just let me know.

http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl

Canadiun said...

Thanks RC - I will do that. Greatly appreciated!

Anonymous said...

good morning ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I had been digging for the sake of that particular brand. The prices as regards the boots were approximately 180 dollars on every page. But for all I base this site selling them for half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good morning friends. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking as far as something that meticulous make. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers were all over 200 dollars on every page. But finally I found this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good morning friends. I'm really into shoes and I was searching for that particular model. The prices for the sneakers are about 200 pounds everwhere. But finally I base this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what is your opinion?