Monday, April 27, 2009

Support to Red Canuck

Over the weekend, I received some very difficult news from my good friend Red Canuck. Since then, he and his family have been on my mind every waking moment. Instead of a blog post this week, I offer my thoughts and prayers and, hopefully, a laugh with this photo of our favorite United Nations megalomaniac, Shashi Tharoor. This one's for you RC! And thanks - no words can express the ways in which you touched our lives, but know that we will try to carry on your good work.


Photo caption:New York, 2 May 2003 -- 3 May serves as an occasion to inform the public of violations of the right to freedom of expression and as a reminder that many journalists brave incarceration or death to bring people the news. Here prominent CanadiUN and Deputy Secretary-General Louise Frechette, and Under-Secretary-General for Communications and Public Information, Shashi Tharoor, mark the day.

2 comments:

MD said...

Thanks for you post, and your thoughts. I was thinking about your humble friend Shashi when I saw his son show up on the Colbert Report a couple of weeks ago. I guess Shashi was right when he announced that he "straddles several worlds of experience." He's running for the Congress Party in the present Indian elections, so another political body can benefit from his talents.

Your picture gave me a laugh. RC hasn't had regular access to the internet for the last few days, but I'm sure he'll get a laugh out of it when he sees it.

Canadiun said...

Ha ha! Yes, he is an AMAZING talent that the UN lost...

Thanks for the update MD. Yes please, do pass it along and do have a laugh!

We'll see how much longer I can stomach this UN stuff. Somehow, working as a consultant was a bit like being a surgical prep nurse - I prepped the body, but didn't have to stick around for the gruesome innards. As a staff member, it seems all I do is deal with the inflated egos of "doctors" and see gruesome innards. Only we're not really saving anyone...

I hope you'll forgive me for the medical reference! ;-)