Sunday, December 27, 2009

Season's Greetings

Now that the gifts under the Christmas tree/Hanukkah bush have been unwrapped, and the boxes from the questionable quality, lead-tainted Chinese toys have been discarded, and the chocolates, cookies and marzipan coagulate on the bellies and thighs of our nations citizens, it still came as a shock, as I walked down my local block, to see just how many "recyclables" were piled on the sidewalks in the City.

And while I am not intending to put a damper on the festivities of readers out there (or compete with the Grinch), I guess that's why I continue to feel a sense of dread as the holiday season comes. Conversely, I cannot begin to explain the genuine sense of relief as the season moves on.

The consumerism around the holiday was never supposed to BE the holiday. The exchange of gifts was never intended to be a shop-till-you-drop affair, working credit limits and patience to the extreme. Instead, it was always supposed to be about family and friends. It was always about thoughtfulness -- perhaps a bespoke knitted scarf or handy tool, or something special acquired on travels to a far off land -- you know, like gold, frankincense and myrrh.

I had a great Christmas this year. In addition to spending time with my lovely wife, I wrote a message to James Howard Kunstler and got a response, and wrote him back, and heard from him again. Simple pleasures, I suppose.

Let me just take this opportunity to wish you all the very best of the season. A new year will soon be upon us and with it, new challenges and thoughts. I will have something to say about it, no doubt. I hope you will, too.

No comments: